Attacks come after 31 people were killed in police raid on hotel in notorious ‘Sholom’ red-light district
At least three people have been killed after two female suicide bombers struck in the Ugandan capital Kampala, the capital’s police chief said on Monday, with authorities bracing for more attacks following an operation in a notorious red-light district on Sunday.
Two females, aged between 16 and 18, struck in a busy bus stop in the upmarket city centre on Sunday evening, later followed by another attack on a police checkpoint in the city centre, the police spokesman, Emilian Kayima, said.
The public relations minister of Uganda, Don Wanyama, later said the injuries of those being treated in hospitals suggested more attacks were imminent.
“It is very clear that there is going to be more attacks. My police are alert and they will be taking precautions,” Wanyama told a news conference.
“We need everyone to be very alert,” he added. “The police and the security agencies are on high alert.”
The police earlier confirmed that at least seven people had been injured in the latest attacks. Kayima said no deaths had been reported from the latest blasts.
Hundreds of police and soldiers deployed across the city to cordon off the site of the deadly attacks, while soldiers set up checkpoints all over the country in an attempt to track down suspected militants.
Africa’s most widely used mobile phone carrier blocked access to a popular messaging app in Uganda last month after a warning by national intelligence that it was being used for attacks in the country.